There has been a lot of talk about kale lately. Perhaps too much. That doesn’t make it bad, just somewhat overhyped. Yet kale can still be a very luscious ingredient, in addition to being a nutritional powerhouse.
I had an extraordinary salad recently starring raw kale in a very lemon-y vinaigrette loaded with grated Parmesan cheese, bacon bits included within, and topped with grilled chicken. When I saw a bag of already cleaned and chopped kale at Trader Joe’s I knew I was going to make my own version at home.
My version also uses lots of freshly squeezed lemon and grated Parmesan cheese, but I substituted some leftover steak slices for the bacon, added some pecans for crunch, and topped the entire construction with a fried egg. All I can say is…wow.
1. Clean, chopped kale. Obviously, how much depends on for how many people.
2. Steak pieces or bacon bits or grilled chicken – whichever you prefer and/or have on hand.
3. Walnuts or pecans or again, whatever additional crunch, if any, floats your boat.
4. Place all the aforementioned in a bowl, add a pinch of salt and pepper, then dress with a lot of lemon juice – I use the juice of an entire lemon – and about an equal amount of olive oil.
5. Now add in your grated Parmesan and toss. Sure, more is merrier, but here’s where you can choose to be calorie conscientious. [By the way, without the cheese, you’re looking at a power Paleo masterpiece. But the cheese and lemon combo really makes this salad sing.]
6. Feel like the egg topper? Then fry or poach and drop it atop this big tasting main course salad.